York County Maine’s only daily newspaper. The roots of the Journal Tribune date back to a pair of weekly political newpapers – the Union, founded in Saco in 1845, and the Eastern Journal, which was started in Biddeford a decade later. Over time, the papers combined into one, the Union and Eastern Journal, and operated under the ownership of Oliver Butler and his son John. In 1880, the paper was sold to Charles and William Prescott, two young men from North Berwick. Throughout all the ownership changes, moves, name changes and staffs, the Journal Tribune has stayed true to the statement made by Charles Prescott in the initial issue: To be a live, daily newspaper; which will act as a stimulus and ready help to its readers.