Seashore Trolley Museum seeks a self-motivated, experienced, Bookkeeper for our fast-paced, high-energy nonprofit organization. New England Electric Railway Historical Society’s Seashore Trolley Museum, located in Kennebunkport, Maine, pioneered the field of volunteer-sponsored rail preservation worldwide when it was founded in 1939. Guests and treated to rides on our heritage railway, on board trolleys our talented volunteers and staff have restored to their original glory. Hundreds of transit artifacts are on display around our 350-acre campus. We are at an exciting point in our 82-year history; several capital projects have been funded, allowing us to further expand our offerings to our members and the general public.
Salary & Benefits:
The starting salary for this full-time, year round position is $21-$24/hour to start, dependent upon the experience of the successful candidate. A weekly $100 health insurance stipend is part of this position’s benefits package, as well as the opportunity to join the museum’s health and dental plans. Additional benefits include paid time off and holidays, a flexible work schedule, the option to work from home one or more days a week during the off-season depending on the employee’s performance, and a pretty fun job at a pretty great place! The position’s start date can be flexible but ideally on or around January 4, 2022. We would like the successful candidate to work side-by-side with our current Bookkeeper for at least one month before she retires after a successful 10+ year career at the museum by/around February 2022.
The Bookkeeper is one of the front-line positions at Seashore Trolley Museum. Interfacing regularly with volunteer and staff department heads, members, museum guests, and vendors, this position works alongside our Visitors Center Manager and Executive Director to perform all daily and on-going financial responsibilities for the museum.
This position’s responsibilities include:
- Performing accurate data entry and maintaining financial records according to museum standards using Quickbooks software. Entering daily all expenses, donations, membership dues, cash receipts, receivables and payables, admissions, Museum Store POS (Lightspeed) transactions, and other financial data.
- Reconciling, investigating and resolving variances in funds and accounts.
- Processing purchase requests and invoices with required department approvals and coding.
- Preparing and processing weekly payroll for a staff of 11-15 employees (decreases during the museum’s off-season).
- Vetting and setting up new vendor accounts according to company standards.
- Preparing journal entries, account balance reconciliations and reports as needed for departments to track their budgets and spending.
- Preparing weekly check run batches and reviewing for accuracy before processing.
- Entering membership and donor information into PastPerfect. Mailing or emailing receipts and donor thank you letters (automatically generated by this software).
- Providing training to new and existing Visitors Center and Museum Store staff as needed.
- Booking, scheduling and invoicing tour groups, Be A Motorman experiences, and motorcoach bus companies.
- Following the museum’s process for opening new accounts, obtaining authorizations and establishing credit limits.
- Reviewing and awarding/declining donation requests from other local and regional nonprofits monthly.
- Monitoring office supplies and placing orders as needed.
- Maintaining a professional, positive, friendly demeanor with members and guests, vendors, volunteers and fellow employees at all times.
- Handling donor and membership information with care and professionalism and maintains strict confidentiality.
- Assisting in research, special projects, reporting and compiling information for the annual audit and preparation of tax returns.
- Supporting the Museum Store and other departments and large fundraiser events as needed.
- Assisting in the development and implementation of new procedures and features to enhance the workflow of the museum.
The Ideal Candidate Possesses the Following:
- College degree preferred with at least 5 years’ prior experience as a Bookkeeper required
- Strong knowledge of QuickBooks and proficiency with Microsoft Office products
- Ability to prioritize work and manage time effectively, with a high level of accuracy, keen attention to detail and focus on delivering optimal customer service
- Strong organizational and communication skills, both oral and written
- Ability to spot inefficiencies (internal or external) and work with the team on process improvements
- Candidate must display professionalism and exercise the utmost discretion
- Decisiveness, good judgement, and strong self-motivation and initiative
- Experience working with volunteers and/or in a non-profit setting is a plus but not required.
This position’s hours are flexible—applicants are encouraged to share availability/ideal work hours in their application.
To apply, send cover letter, resume, and three professional references to Katie Orlando, Executive Director, at [email protected]. Incomplete applications will not be considered. No phone calls or drop ins please.