from New Haven, Connecticut
John Stephenson Car Co. (1906)
|Retired from Service|
|Acquired by the Museum|
No. 1160 was a very early "off the shelf" design used by several builders for small orders. The smaller systems could not afford to design their own idividual streetcar. These plain but sturdy and cheaper models were thus very popular, especially in New England. This one was built by Stephenson of New York in 1906 for a predacessor of the Connecticut Company, which operated most of the state's streetcars. Like Massachusetts Northeastern No. 50, it has a railroad roof, buts its side panels are of the straight, vertically sheathed type and it has two longitudinal seats. The high degree of similarity between different builders' versions of this standard design is evidenced by the fact that it took many years to identify the builder of this car. Wason window latches suggested that builder, but dilligent research by the museum curatorial staff on rood lines and other features confirmed No. 1160 as built by Stephenson.
Car No. 1160 came from the Connecticut Company in 1948, after closure of its last streetcar division, in New Haven. Four more cars would come to Seashore from this New Haven Railroad subsidiary, and a number of others went similarly to other museums.
Historic Cars: The National Collection at the Seashore Trolley Museum by Ben Minnich
Manufacturer: John Stephenson Car Co.
Item Type: City and Suburban Streetcar
|Trucks: 2 Standard 050
||Motors: 4 General Electric 80
|Brakes: Straight Air
|Length: 41' 0"
||Width: 8' 4"
||Weight: 49300 lbs.