from Wheeling, West Virginia
Cincinnati Car Co. (1924)
|Retired from Service|
|Acquired by the Museum|
Seashore's No. 639 is a Cincinnati curved-side built in 1924 for West Virginia's Wheeling Traction Company, later Co-Operative Transit Company. It is one of few survivors of hundreds of curved-side cars and is the standard model that once ran in the Midwest and South.
The body was acquired in 1957, from secondary service in Little Hocking, Ohio, the only instance known in which a streetcar was converted into a doctor's office and pharmaceutical dispensary. After the doctor died, vandals had scattered and smashed numerous bottles of unknown medicines and other liquids that accelerated the general deterioration of a decade of benign neglect. The body was donated to the Museum by the doctor's daughter, Majel Amerine of Columbus.
Historic Cars: The National Collection at the Seashore Trolley Museum by Ben Minnich
Manufacturer: Cincinnati Car Co.
Item Type: City and Suburban Streetcar
Description: Curved-side Suburban
|Trucks: 2 Standard C-35P
||Motors: 4 Westinghouse 508A
|Length: 42' 6"
||Width: 8' 7"
||Height: 10' 8"
||Weight: 28952 lbs.